Friday, December 11, 2009

HorsePasture and Whitewater 12/10/09

Yet another stomping rain this fall has brought all the rivers and creeks up again for the holidays. Here in the southeast kayakers love seeing the radar and the gauges light up like a christmas tree. The week before a group of us went to the Whitewater at a low level of 6". The level ended up being fine given neither of us knew nothing about the river and the last time I was there it was summer at a negative low level and swam through the minigorge which is epic. I was really surprised at how many drops this river had from low angle slides into 6 to 10 ft waterfalls to big 20 footer and a huge twisty slide which result may very. If the rivers are up in Jocass whitewater is my recomendation.



(Alex Brantley)

Thursday I ended up getting the day off and headed to the Jocasse area. With Horspasture at a level of 1.2 the day before we knew there was still some good water left. It ended up being freezing cold (frozen gear) so for once in my life I was looking forward to hiking. Alot of people tend to stay away from Horsepasture due to the amount of work (more hiking than kayaking), but every time I go in there I end up with a big grin because of the adventure.

The new parking situation isnt bad for the hike out. Now you can hike up to the road, drop the boats and drive the car down the road to pick them up.
Heres a video that Sam Causey shot and Mason edited


Horsepasture River from Mason Robinson on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment